SINGLE PROFESSIONALS: You write, I answer!
AskTheMatchmaker@yahoo.com

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Q & A / Gift Didn't Exactly Knock Her Socks Off

Q: Hi, Chris:

My new mother-in-law bought me socks for Christmas. My husband just laughed it off and said at least she didn’t buy me “baggie white” underwear. My own family always buys thoughtful and generous gifts for each other, so this came as a total shock to me. I’m not sure if I should be insulted or just grateful she bought me anything. P.S. My husband and I bought her a lovely sweater (she loved it!) and her favorite bath salts.

--- Seething in San Francisco


A: Dear Bachelorette:

Were they white socks or did they have little bears and giraffes on them? There are terrible gift givers and wonderful gift givers and everything in-between (get used to it.) I agree with your husband—and please be grateful (and gracious) you got a present at all. Particularly in this economy, the old adage “it’s the thought that counts” has more meaning than ever.